Saturday, March 30, 2013

Where Oh Where Would I Be? ... reflecting about Habersham County, Georgia

I first moved to Habersham County, Georgia in 1977.  Beautiful rural area, but, nonetheless, a poster child for "middle of nowhere." The whole county (not "city" but "COUNTY")  boasted a population of less than 5000.  You had to throw a rock really hard to hit our neighbor's house.  I was one year into college trying to figure out "what am I going to do with my life?" in a place where there was no McDonald's, no movie theater, no bowling alley, no nothing!  What a transition!  Up to then, I'd lived here and there across the USA in well populated places.  I lived the previous four years -- my high school years -- on an Air Force base where a bowling alley, a movie theater, a library, a gym, etc were all within walking distance not counting other such places in town off the base.  Habersham county was a place where there was a good chance my family was related, in some way, to every other family in the county.  Gossip traveled fast!  Just let someone see your car parked in a large empty parking lot, and everyone will know about it by noon the next day.  I was a fish out of water.  On top of that, I was gay -- a 19 year old gay -- and a 100% virgin.

No comments:

Post a Comment